About THS –
Trescott, Maine – Histories from 1785
Historic Lubec PhotosRare Glass Negatives of the Lubec area in 1911!
We are happy to make available for all to enjoy a very rare find — 65 photographs taken in Lubec and nearby areas in 1911! The photographer is unknown, but the surroundings will seem familiar. We would love feedback about any of these intriguing glimpses into our past. If you recognize anything or anyone, please let us know so we can share the information!
Thanks to photographer Leslie Bowman of Trescott!
Historic Colby 1881 Atlas Reprints
Trescott Historical Timeline
Prior to 1785: The Passamaquoddy Indians roamed the entire downeast Maine and New Brunswick, Canada region hunting and fishing.
The Passamaquoddy relied on the natural bounty of the sea and of inland forests and rivers throughout the year, dwelling mostly at the mouths of rivers, and traveling inland for game as the need arose.
- Circa 1785: Trescott first settled
- 1791: Originally called Plantation No. 9 E.D. (Eastern District of Machias) as part of one million acres in Maine purchased by Philadelphia magnate and land investor William Bingham from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- February 7, 1827: Incorporated as the town of Trescott; named for Major Lemuel Trescott, prominent resident of Lubec during the Revolutionary War
- War of 1812: Naval skirmishes fought along Trescott coast and harbors
- 1800s and early 1900s: Economy based on farming, fishing, lumber, shipbuilding, and sheep raising. Harbors were at Bailey's Mistake, Haycock Harbor, Moose Cove and the Bay at the South Branch of the Cobscook River (now called Whiting Bay)
- 20th century: Economy based mostly on timber, fishing, blueberry fields and poultry
- Late 1930s: New Deal plan to flood much of Trescott as part of Quoddy Tidal Power project; eventually dropped
- March 8, 1945: De-organized due to declining population
- Mid 1980s: Tidal Power flood plan revived and rejected
- 1988–1992: Successful fight to stop National Park Service from designating privately owned south Trescott coast as a National Natural Landmark and taking over Trescott and most of Washington County for new National Park
- 1995: Bonnie Healy began researching history of Trescott and its early settlement. Founded Trescott Historical Society May 2000; first meeting October 2000